This service works to identify people in our community who are at risk of hypertension (high blood pressure). If you are over 40 you can simply book an appointment to get your blood pressure checked and following the results we will assist in giving you healthy living advice as well as sign-post you to the necessary healthcare professionals if needed.
The following patients are eligible to receive this service:
– Adults 40+ years old who do not have a diagnosis of hypertension
– Adults under the age of 40 with a family history of hypertension (this is at our pharmacist’s discretion when appointments are available)
– Self-requested adults between the ages of 35-39 (this is at our pharmacist’s discretion and when appointments are available)
Come in and check, call Wicker Pharmacy to book on 0114 272 7676.
Hypertension, also known as High Blood Pressure is a common condition whereby the long-term force of blood against your artery walls is high enough that it may eventually cause health severe problems. Unfortunately, Hypertension does not portray any noticeable symptoms and the only way to find out if your blood pressure is high is to have it checked, therefore it is important to get regular checkups from your GP or your nearest community pharmacy that offers the Hypertension Case-Finding Service in Sheffield. If left untreated, it can increase your risk of serious problems such as heart attacks and strokes.
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is one of the leading causes of premature death in the United Kingdom. It affects 7 million people and accounts for 1.6 million disability-adjusted life years. One of the biggest risk factors for Cardiovascular disease is Hypertension (high blood pressure) and it is estimated that over 5.5 million people are living with undiagnosed Hypertension in England alone. Early detection of hypertension is vital in reducing the risk of developing further complications including cardiovascular disease. Over the past two years, levels of detection have fallen due to the impact of COVID-19 on routine blood pressure monitoring; that is where Wicker Pharmacy comes in. We are working closely with the NHS to help detect and treat patients with hypertension in our community by providing the Hypertension Case-Finding Service in Sheffield.
The causes of high blood pressure are not always clear however you may be at a higher risk if you:
– eat too much salt and do not eat enough fruit and vegetables
– do not do enough exercise
– are overweight
– drink too much alcohol or caffeine-based drinks
– smoke regularly
– are over the age of 65
– are sleep deprived or have disturbed sleep
– have a relative with high blood pressure
– are of black African or black Caribbean descent
– live in a deprived area
There are lifestyle changes that you can make that can help prevent developing Hypertension or they may help you reduce it.
– exercise regularly
– monitor your salt intake and drink plenty of water
– increase your fibre intake and always aim to get your 5 a day
– lose some weight (if your BMI is above 25)
– stop smoking
– reduce alcohol & caffeine intake
– focus on getting good sleep
Contact our team at Wicker Pharmacy today to find out more about this service.
Please note we are unable to provide this service to patients who already have their blood pressure monitored regularly by a healthcare professional.